‘Friends of the ASN Wing’ promotes inclusion; we help to enable pupils to access educational and extra-curricular opportunities which may otherwise not be available.
Bucksburn Academy is a six year comprehensive school with an Additional Support Needs Wing, which has the capacity for 96 pupils with a range of Additional Support Needs. The Wing is attended by pupils from across Aberdeen and has a strong ethos where everyone is valued, respected, recognised and encouraged to flourish.
The curriculum within the ASN Wing is underpinned by Curriculum for Excellence principles and built around individual pupil needs and offers National Qualification units and courses at National 1, 2, and 3. The Wing also offers personal development courses including ASDAN, Caledonian Awards, and Duke of Edinburgh in the Senior Phase while focussing on a number of key areas such as Enterprise, Health & Wellbeing, and Outdoor Activities. Briefly, Enterprise offers pupils a choice of different classes to develop creative, enterprising and life skills such as gardening, bike maintenance, Wing newspaper, and Computing. Health & Wellbeing offers pupils Social Health (e.g. use of language, life skills, or independent travel) and Physical Health (e.g. football, dancing, and biking/triking). Finally, Outdoor Activities promote independence, confidence, and leadership skills through a number of activities (e.g. biking, skiing, and residential trips).
Friends of the ASN Wing was created when Marlpool and Bankhead schools were combined and aims to support the pupils of the Bucksburn Academy ASN Wing as well as enhance their experience both in and out of school. The core values of the association are:
- The advancement of education.
- The advancement of citizenship and community development.
- To improve the conditions of life for those whom the ASN Wing facilities and activities are intended.
The Friends group allows parents and staff to raise funds to help provide money for experiences that the school could otherwise not provide. Since it began, the group has had a number of achievements, including:
- Establishing an annual summer BBQ – a great event for parents, pupils, and staff to come together, celebrate the end of another school year, raise money, and socialise.
- Introducing the successful Christmas Fayre from Marlpool school and, with some of the parent council, forming the “Bucksburn Academy Funraisers” and making this event even bigger and better.
- Funding the maintenance and running of two school mini-buses enabling classes to take learning into the community, pupils to experience new activities, and residential trips.
- Funding the purchase and maintenance of a fleet of bikes to help with outdoor education.